The Science of Spiritual and Religious Exercises
Request for Proposals (NOW CLOSED)
Open May 8, 2023 through July 2, 2023
The Science of Religious and Spiritual Exercises (SoRSE) priority supports interdisciplinary scientific research to examine the causal impact of religious and spiritual exercises on human capacities and outcomes that are central to flourishing lives.
In this Request for Proposals (RFP), we seek to award a total of up to $3 million for additional research that will advance our knowledge of how religious and spiritual exercises contribute to flourishing-related outcomes.
The goal of this RFP
The goal of this Request for Proposals is to test causal relationships between the practice of spiritual exercises and flourishing-related outcomes, and to consider what might moderate and mediate these relationships.
Priority will be given to research on spiritual exercises not yet funded by TWCF. See current projects here.
Scroll down to learn about our Application Process and Key Dates. Be sure to watch the above recording of our Webinar.
For complete details about this funding competition and application, download our Guidance for Applicants Document.
Successful proposals will:
- Use robust research methods to empirically establish the presence or absence of a causal relationship between specific religious and spiritual exercises and flourishing-related outcomes, while controlling appropriately for potential confounding variables.
- Identify and test potential psychological mechanisms that link practices to their outcomes, as well as moderators that might influence those outcomes.
- Provide research data and evidence that can inform innovations in spiritual exercises so that more people can benefit from their practice.
- Address religious and spiritual exercises not represented in currently funded projects.
- Supplement self-report measures of subjective well-being with more objective measures such as physiological responses or biomarkers.
This funding competition has a two-stage process.* The first stage involves submission of an Expression of Interest. The second stage is by invitation only, and involves submission of a Full Proposal form that includes several sections including a Project Description, budget and budget narrative, project outputs, and expected outcomes. Full Proposals will undergo formal internal and external reviews, and a final funding decision will be made by the foundation. Projects must have a start date between May 1 and October 31, 2024.
- RFP opens: May 8, 2023
- Webinar: May 23, 2023, 9-10am Eastern, 1-2pm UTC. Recording available here.
- Expression of Interest submission deadline: July 2, 2023
- Notification of invitation to Full Proposal: July 31, 2023
- (By invitation only) Deadline for submitting Full Proposal: September 24, 2023
- Notification of awards: March 1, 2024
- Earliest start date: May 1, 2024
- * For ALL application details and instructions, please consult the Guidance for Applicants document. To apply, download and complete the Expression of Interest Template. Once completed, register your Expression of Interest using the form at our Fluxx Portal.
Priority will be given to research on religious and spiritual exercises that are not represented in this list.
All details can be found in the Guidance for Applicants Document.
Download Guidance Document
To apply, download and complete the Expression of Interest Template.
Download Expression of Interest Template
Once Expression of Interest is completed, submit with the RFP Registration Form at our Fluxx Portal.
Go To Registration Form